What is it?
A chemical peel can be used to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve texture/tone, reduce pore size, increase hydration and moisture retention, give skin a smoother appearance, and diminish the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Chemical peels harness the power of certain ingredients that dissolved dead skin cells and clean out pores. It is an incredibly effective way to exfoliate skin and encourage fresh, healthy cells to rise up. For optimum results, you should get at least two to six peels spaced a minimum of three weeks apart, depending on your desired skincare goals
Bel Lavi Medical Aesthetics offers three types of peels.
The SkinBetter Sciene AlphaRet Professional Peel is a 3-step peel system that has been shown to improve overall skin tone and texture for patients with mild photo-damage, early signs of aging or blemishes. A blend of Lactic, Glycolic and Salicylic Acids re-texturizes the skin to enhance the action of patented AlphaRet Technology for optimal results. It can be used on the face, neck, décolleté, back, arms and hands. Results to be expected are: acceleration of the natural process of exfoliation, reduced visual signs of agreeing and sun damage, improved moisture retention and increased hydration.
The Lite Peel (Refresh), also known as the “lunchtime peel”, has no downtime. The patient can refresh and go! It is good for all skin types including sensitive skin. This peel relieves congestion/dullness/sallowness and improves acne. It can be used on the face, neck, décolleté, back, arms and hands. Results to be expected are: smoother texture, improved congestion and skin clarity.
The Peel System (sal-e & mal-e), has minimal downtime. Minor redness/flaking for 2-4 days post peel can be expected. It is good for all skin types, including sensitive skin. The peel improves skin aging, hyperpigmentation, acne, rosacea. It can be used on the face, neck, décolleté, back, arms and hands. Results to be expected are: Optimum cell turnover to refine pores, retexturize and hydrate.
What to expect?
During your visit, your provider will discuss with you your primary skin concerns, and help to determine which peel would be most beneficial for your concerns. Your face will be cleansed and 1-3 layers of peel will be applied to your skin. It may cause a tingling sensation to the skin, which can be managed with a handheld fan (for some peels). Once the peel has had time to penetrate the skin, it will be neutralized for skin protection. After neutralization, a cool post-care enrichment mask will be applied to hydrate and calm the skin. Once the mask is washed off, a post-care cream will be applied to repair the skin barrier.
For some peels, minor peeling/flaking can be expect 2-4 days post peel application. Some people think that the more the skin peels, the more effective the peels is, but thats not necessarily true! Your skin does not need to “physically” peel in order to experience the benefit of a chemical peel.
- Avoid sun exposure prior to treatment. Sunburned skin cannot be treated.
- Do not bleach, wax, tweeze or use depilatory creams in treatment area for 3 days prior to treatment.
- No IPL or laser hair removal 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Discontinue use of retinoid (Retin A, Tazorac, Differin, etc) and Hydroquinone products 3 days prior to treatment.
- Discontinue use of 10% or higher Alpha Hydroxyl Acids, Glycolic Acids, and exfoliants 3 days prior to peel.
- If you have a history of herpes simplex, advise office so you may begin prophylactic antiviral therapy the day before treatment.
- Schedule your treatment at a time when minor swelling or peeling will not disrupt your social obligations.
- Approximately 48 hours after the treatment your skin *may* begin to peel. This peeling will generally last 2-5 days. DO NOT PICK OR PULL THE SKIN!
- For optimum results, the skin should be kept well hydrated at all times. Use a mild moisturiser/sunscreen with an SPF of at least 20.
- Avoid direct sunlight for at least 4 weeks post-treatment and use SPF 50 sunscreen preferably when in the sun or outdoors even for short time periods.
- Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the peel.
- Please be aware your skin may be more red than usual for 2-3 days which is perfectly normal.
- Please avoid strenuous exercise during this time.
- When washing your face, do not scrub. Use a gentle or mild skin cleanser, preferably one not containing soap.
- Apply a light moisturiser as often as needed to relieve the dryness or tightness of the skin that may be experienced.
- Do not have another facial treatment for at least one week after your peel.
- You may resume the regular use of Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) products or bleaching creams ONLY after the peeling process is complete.
- The Epionce Essential Recovery Kit is exclusive to skincare professionals and created as an at-home regimen to help skin bounce back most effectively after a procedure. The kit consists of enough product for up to 72 hours of use to provide needed hydration as skin heals. Keep skin clean with Milky Lotion Cleanser, and smooth visible irritation and redness with a layer of Enriched Firming Mask that can be rinsed off or left on skin. Renewal Calming Cream restores lost moisture and protects, plus priming oil available as a part of this kit helps to alleviate stinging.