What is it?
What to expect?
The Healing Process
Day 1 - 3
A sunburn-like effect is normal. Your skin may feel tight, dry or sensitive to touch. Treat the skin gently by washing it with a gentle cleanser, cool water, and using only your hands to pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment Some redness may also be present and in some cases, patients may experience slight bruising that can last for 5-7 days and temporary swelling for 2-4 days
Day 2 - 7
Peeling may start 3-5 days after the treatment. You’ll notice skin dryness and flaking which is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. DO NOT pick, scratch, or scrub at treated skin! Important information: You must allow the old skin to flake off naturally and keep it moisturized at all times. Talk to your skin specialist about which products to use.
Day 5 - 7
You may start your regular skin care products again, once your skin no longer feels irritated. Most of our patients have noticed continued skin improvement over the months following their last treatment.
- Avoid Accutane in the six months prior to beginning your treatment sessions
- Do not use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoids, exfoliants, topical antibiotics or acids 5-7 days prior to your treatment
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for at least 3 days prior to your microneedling session. These will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical for your skin rejuvenation
- Avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for at least 2 weeks prior to your procedure
- No waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to the area being treated for 5-7 days prior
- Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there’s dense hair present in the treatment area, shave the day before you arrive for your appointment
- If you’re prone to cold sores, take an antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment
- Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior because bruising is a common side effect of microneedling
- Wash your face a few hours after your treatment, or at bedtime with a gentle cleanser
- Avoid applying makeup or creams for 24 hours
- Do not wear restrictive garments over the treated area
- Avoid any exposure to tanning beds or direct sunlight for one week
- Use SPF 50 or higher when in the sun for the duration of your healing cycle
- No not use scrubs or harsh washes or any product with perfumes or retinol, glycolic, lactic or other acids or any brightening or anti-aging agents until after your skin has begun to heal
- Do not engage in any activity where you are likely to sweat in the treatment area (strenuous exercise, sauna, steam room, pool water) for 24 hours (if you do not feel that your skin has healed in 24 hours, please extend this caution until your feel you can safety go back to your routine)
- If your skin feels hot or irritated, you can apply a cool compress to the skin
- For best results and efficacy, we recommend a series of 3-6 treatments administered at 4 week intervals, followed by maintenance
- Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating as well as jacuzzies, saunas, and steam baths for up to 48 hours
- Use only mineral makeup after 24 hours
- Sleep on your back with the head of the bed elevated to minimize swelling or pain as needed