PRF Hair Restoration
What is it?
PRF hair restoration therapy involves injecting PRF (platelet-rich fibrin) to stimulate collagen production, tissue regeneration and hair regrowth the. Since PRF comes from your own blood, the body more easily accepts the treatment and increases natural tissue regeneration. The tissue regeneration stimulates hair follicles, making them larger and healthier so they can produce thicker hair. PRF hair restoration is beneficial for both men and women suffering from thinning hair, a receding hairline and/or baldness/bald spots.
What to expect?
A topical anesthetic will be applied for comfort. PRF will be injected into your scalp, causing mild inflammation that triggers the healing process. This enhances circulation and promotes new blood vessel growth, stimulating your active follicles to regrow your hair. The benefits of PRF hair restoration will start to show after about 6-7 weeks, lasting about 2 years. The results may vary depending on your age, the severity of your condition, genetics, general health, and environmental factors. It is recommended to follow the following protocol: PRF injections once a month for 3 months, followed by three times a year for one year, then two times a year for maintenance.
- Avoid blood thinning medications for a few days prior, such as Ibuprofen, ALeve and supplements including St. John’s Wort, Ginko BIloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng and Vitamin E
- If you are on a medically indicated blood thinner stay on it, but consult with your provider ahead of time or day of the procedure
- DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages on the day of your procedure
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRF treatments
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment and please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment
- DO NOT touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment
- Avoid Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal anti- inflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver, Essential Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after your treatment Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 days following your procedure. If you experience any pain or discomfort, you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed
- We would prefer if you could refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory
- DO NOT wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment. For the first 3 days, use shampoo that is pH balanced
- DO NOT use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment
- Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer
- Avoid resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) or hair coloring or straightening for 3 days
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment